Full disclosure – I renamed this tag because apparently it was originally called the “You’re Not Good Enough Book Tag.” That title felt a little misleading, because honestly, this is all about characters fighting each other. Figuratively, at least.
This tag was originally created by Booktubers ReadLikeWildfire and Beccathebookreviewer, but the video is no longer available. I actually found it through another blogger, Dreamland Book Blog. The rules are simple: There are 15 questions
(well, 14 in my version – I cut one out), you write various character names on slips of paper and draw names for each question. You have to pick between these two characters for each question and decide which one is better for the question.
To be honest, it’s kind of hard to explain, so I’m just gonna get into the questions!
1) You only have one more spot on your spelling bee team, who would you pick to complete your team?
Eliza Mirk (Eliza and Her Monsters) vs. Sage (The False Prince)
Sage is clever, sure, but he doesn’t really have it together when it comes to book smarts. Eliza may not like school, but she is a writer and creator, so I think she’d fare better in a spelling bee.
2) Both characters want to kill you, which one would you kill first so you have a better chance of surviving?
Inej Ghafa (Six of Crows) vs. Stargirl (Stargirl)
Stargirl is probably the least threatening character on this list. Inej, on the other hand, could kill me by looking at me, so I’d definitely want to get rid of her first (as much as it breaks my heart to do so). Then maybe Stargirl and I can grab tea and chat or something.
3) You’re on The Bachelorette and you’re down to these two characters, which one are you going to give your rose to?
Percy Jackson (Percy Jackson & The Olympians) vs. David Charleston (Steelheart)
Okay, first of all, the day I end up on the any show like this is the day I drop dead.
But that being said, this isn’t even a fair question, because Percy surpasses anyone else on this list
(well, maybe not Day). Plus, David gets more annoying as the series continues, so he really didn’t stand a chance.
4) You’ve been chosen for The Hunger Games, who would most likely volunteer in your place?
Thalia Grace (PJO) vs. Victor Vale (Vicious)
Hahahaha I’m gonna die. Of these two characters, Thalia’s probably more likely to volunteer, but probably not for my sake. She’d just want to prove herself in the arena.
5) You’re stranded on an island. Which character would you sacrifice to engage in cannibalism?
Sydney Clarke (Vicious) vs. Alek (Leviathan)
OF COURSE I would draw two of the softest characters on my list. Sydney is just Too Good for this world though, so Alek has to go. Sorry dude. You had a good run.
Also Sydney is totally more useful when you’re stranded on an island just saying
6) You’re the next DC/Marvel superhero, who is your sidekick?
Nova (Renegades) vs. Carswell Thorne (The Lunar Chronicles)
Nova may be a superhero (villain?), but her loyalties are sketchy at best. Captain Carswell Thorne, on the other hand, is perfect sidekick material. Great one-liners, mediocre skills that won’t overshadow mine, easy to boss around… yep, perfect.
7) You’re a manager of an avocado admiring company, who would you fire for lack of communication skills?
Day (Legend) vs. Cinder (TLC)
Cinder has the charisma of a small soap dish, so she’d definitely be the one who gets fired. Day may say some ridiculous stuff sometimes, but he’s definitely got some good communication skills.
8) You’ve just finished a book in which your favorite character dies, which character is most likely to comfort you?
Emika Chen (Warcross) vs. Cath Avery (Fangirl)
Emika would probably tell me to just get over it. Since Cath is also a fangirl (see: book title), I think she would be much more sympathetic.
9) Ugh, it’s high school. Who would most likely be part of the popular clique?
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl) vs. Deryn Sharp (Leviathan)
Neither of them, probably? Although I could see Deryn being one of the sports girls in high school
(I didn’t go to public school though so what do I know), so maybe she’d have a little more popularity than Artemis? Then again, he would probably have some mastermind plan to win people over, so I really don’t know.
10) The day has arrived; you’re finally a year older! Who would have the nerve to forget your birthday?
Art3mis (Ready Player One) vs. June Iparis (Legend)
Of the two, probably Art3mis, but only because June could probably remember my birthday down to the exact minute that I was born.
11) You’ve just found an upcoming booktube star! Who would it most likely be?
Annabeth Chase (PJO) vs. Jesper Fahey (SOC)
Jesper definitely has the right personality to make it on YouTube, but I think he’d be better at vlogging or making “react” videos. Annabeth is a much better fit for booktube, since she actually reads and all.
12) Sleepover time! Unfortunately you can only invite one person, who would you invite?
Kaz Brekker (SOC) vs. Cammie Morgan (Gallagher Girls)
You think I’m trusting Kaz in my house? Think again. Cammie’s getting an invite (plus we could talk about spy stuff, and I think that’d be pretty darn cool).
13) You’ve just written a super important text. Who would “see” it, but not reply?
Sadie Kane (The Kane Chronicles) vs. Scott Pilgrim (Scott Pilgrim)
If we’re being honest, probably both of them. But Scott is DEFINITELY more likely to not respond to a text since he’s a human disaster.
14) You’ve just woken up and it’s time for breakfast. Your mom’s been replaced by… who?
Kai (TLC) vs. August Flynn (This Savage Song)
I don’t really understand what this question is asking me? Is it asking which of these character is more of the Mom Friend? Because in that case it’s Kai. August is a soft child, sure, but not a Mom Friend. It’s Kai.